Home Workout


Hi all, I had someone request a blog-post on advice for home-workouts! I completely understand that not everyone can afford or make it to a gym, therefore home workouts are the only option.

Firstly, getting yourself a pair of weights would be ideal as they will help you with your results. You are able to get weights from eBay! An cheaper alternative would be ankle/wrist weights to give you a challenge, here is a link to some:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6KG-Wrist-Ankle-Weights-Exercise-Fitness-Gym-Resistance-Training-Running-New-/310803218698?pt=UK_Strength_Training&hash=item485d50c10a

If you are new to training and don't know what you can handle start with 3kg and work yourself up! There is no point buying heavier weights when you don't know if you will be able to use them properly... Your form is everything, if your form is rubbish, there is no point doing the exercise. 

To start with, there are many different types of cardio exercises you can do at home. These include:
- Running/Jogging
- Fast-paced walking
- Cycling
- Burpees 
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dq_NCzj8M)
- Squat Jumps
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVaEhXotL7M)
- Mountain Climbers 
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwgirgXLYM)
- Jumping Jacks

There are many other types of cardio exercises available to you! However, I find the most effective for me is running, to build stamina and to lose calories. You may hate to run, so start off by doing fast-paced walking for 3-5 minutes and start to jog and build up your stamina! For example:
Day 1 - Run for 8 minutes
Day 2 - Run for 10 minutes
Day 3 - Run for 12m 30s
Day 4 - Run for 15
That is how I built my stamina and then keep pushing yourself to improve, as soon as you hit another goal, you should be motivated to hit your next one as you can do it. 
There are many other exercises online which can help you as well.

If you can not find yourself a pair of weights, it maybe ideal to use body-weight exercises. These include:
- Push-ups
- Crunches
- Bear Crawls
- Plank
- Lunges
- Squats

I could do a huge list of exercises which you could do! However, I have found an amazing website which has 50 bodyweight exercises for you to do (with description).
http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere
Do 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps for each exercise (well, that's a guideline anyway and how I set out my own workouts).

There are also fitness videos like this on YouTube to vary your workouts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcN37TxBE_s

Alternatively, you can do exercises such as yoga for weight loss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci3na6ThUJc
I've personally done this specific one and I found it amazing! It is a good break-up from your normal routines and it is a very relaxing way to work out. I personally do this on my "rest day" for 10-15 minutes to stretch and relax, not specifically for weight loss. However, yoga is amazing for weight loss and flexibility.

If you're finding it tough to start working out, maybe ask a friend to join in too! Therefore you can motivate one another and each others progress! Also it'll help you with having somebody to spot if you have not got the correct form. It is important to do the exercises properly because otherwise you will not get the benefit of it! Yes you will find it tough, but you will see results! But remember, results do not happen over night... So please be patient. It is very frustrating to see when people are too impatient. Everyones results differ depending on age, if you have worked out before, stamina, metabolism, etc. So please keep in mind all these factors when you start! 
Work hard, improve your performance and your results will follow

My last piece of advice would be, when you find the home-workouts are being to limit you, it maybe time to think of going to a gym. I used to to home workouts, however, now I need specific equipment and heavy weights for me to do my workouts. Therefore, I would advise to always be on the look out for cheap deals or special offers for gyms. Gyms are usually very good, as they have personal trainers which will advise you. My gym has a policy when you sign up you have free 5 personal training sessions for 30 minutes (which I think is very good), therefore look into gyms and look for these types of deals. However, if you can not to that right now, start going on to some of the links I've suggested and searching YouTube/the web! You'll feel amazing, I promise.

Also, remember, you will never grow if you're comfortable... you have to get uncomfortable to progress.


Any questions, please comment or email me on juicepluslac@hotmail.com.

My fitness IG: @fitladieslife
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/afitladieslife
Please comment with questions and suggestions for next blog posts!
Stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment